Soothing Sammy Program Advertising
** Price Includes Free 5-Day Shipping within Continental U.S. (Usually arrives within 2-3 days)
Does your child ever have tantrums or meltdowns? We have the perfect solution for children ages 2 through 8! Soothing Sammy can prevent future tantrums by teaching your child how to:
- Process their emotions.
- Identify and communicate their feelings.
- Problem solve.
This 4-Piece Program Includes:
1. Children's Book - The colorful photos and simple story is perfect for toddlers, preschoolers and elementary aged children. In the story, children who are upset visit Sammy, a golden retriever, at his dog house. Sammy shows his friends, how calm down with items he has in his home (such as drinking from a child's cup, using a washcloth to dampen their face, eating a crunchy snack and listening to a calming song). Once calm, Sammy helps children identify their feelings, find out why they are mad and develop a solution to the problem.
2. Soothing Sammy Plush Dog (Golden Retriever) - Using an empty box or container, follow the directions in the back of the book to construct a "Sammy house" for this plush dog, which resembles the house from the children's book. Place Sammy, the plush dog, into his new home and fill it with the household items discussed in the children's book. When your child feels upset, redirect them to the Sammy house to calm down (just like the children in the book did). Sammy the plush dog:
- Meets and exceeds all US safety Standards for children ages 2 years old and up.
- Is Machine Washable
- Measures 11.5"L x 3.5"W x 10"H
3) Parent Guide - This 80-page book explains how to prevent children from becoming frustrated in everyday situations. Examples of topics include:
- Sharing space and items with other children.
- Encouraging your child to listen and follow directions.
- Transitioning to and from different activities.
4) Emotions & Feelings Activities - There are so many different feelings and it is hard for children to put those feelings into words. These activities provide opportunities for academic development while learning how to identify feelings in themselves and others, supporting emotional competency.
- Examples Include:
- "Excited vs. Surprised"
- "Angry March"
- "Sunny Side Up Wiggle"
- "Emotion Patterning"
- and so much more!
* All activities utilize items/materials typically found in the home (no need to buy more stuff to complete these activities).
This product was designed by Jeana Kinne, MA, a Child Development Specialist with more then 15 years of experience in the Early Childhood Field (including Parent Education, Special Education and as a Preschool Director.) Jeana's program will walk you through every step of setting up the Soothing Sammy program your home or classroom.
For all Soothing Sammy orders:
- Please accept emails when asked at checkout to ensure you receive the digital components of this program along with updates.
- One Sammy Kit is all you need for a family, or an entire classroom. You can add extra Soothing Sammy plush dogs if you have more then one child.
- This Program was created to meet children where they are and can be easily adapted for children with special needs.
How Does It Work?
6 Steps To Reducing Tantrums:
Step 1: Complete the Emotions & Feelings Activities with your child.
The "Emotions and Feelings" Activities include playful games and activities that teach children how to identify and describe feelings in themselves and others.(Did you know that over 90 different emotions have been identified? Wow... that is a lot to know for little ones to put those feelings into words.) These activities teach emotion vocabulary and positive ways to communicate feelings to others.
These activities include movement and interactive games such as:
- "Excited vs. Surprised"
- "Angry March"
- "Sunny Side Up Wiggle"
- "Emotion Patterning"
- and so much more!
* Note: All activities utilize items/materials typically found in the home (no need to buy more stuff to complete these activities.)
Step 2: Read Soothing Sammy book with your child.
The colorful photos and simple story is perfect for toddlers, preschoolers and elementary aged children. In the story, children who are upset visit Sammy, a golden retriever, at his dog house. Sammy shows his friends, how calm down with items he has in his home. The items Sammy uses resemble typical household items (including a child's cup, a washcloth, a crunchy snack, a picture and more). Once calm, Sammy and his human friends ask the children questions to help them identify their feelings, find out why they are mad and develop a solution to the problem. Using these sensory-rich calm-down strategies, your child will learn:
- How to process emotions.
- How to communicate feelings.
- How to problem-solve.
- How to use their sensory system to calm down
Step 3: Build Sammy's House.
The children’s book includes instructions on how to help your child build a house for Sammy (resembling Sammy's house the children visit in the book) using an empty box.
Step 4: Furnish Sammy's House.
With your child, fill the house (from step 3) with simple calming items described in the book (such as a wash cloth, empty cup, crunchy snack, a family photo and more). Place Sammy the plush dog (included in the kit) into his new home. This machine washable Sammy Plush dog (11.5” L x 3”W x 10” H), encourages children to implement the calm down strategies they learned in the book.
*Note: The Sammy Plush dog is safe for children ages 2 years old an up.
Step 5: Read Parent Guide.
This 80-page parent guide teaches you how to prevent your child from becoming frustrated in everyday situations (such as transition times, sharing space and toys, listening and following directions, going on a long car ride, etc.) This book contains activities, instructions and parent reflection sections.
Step 6: Gently Encourage Your Child to Use Sammy's House.
If your child becomes upset, redirect them to Sammy's house (in Step 4), encouraging them to use the materials in his house to calm down. Once calm, read the Soothing Sammy together. Use the questions at the end of the story to help your child identify why they are mad, how to fix the problem and how to prevent it from happening again in the future!
The Soothing Sammy Kit teaches children how to manage their emotions in a way they will understand, remember and implement. The children's book, along with Sammy the plush dog, emotion activities and parent guide creates a complementary set of tools that give children the confidence to manage their emotions.
- Emotions and Feelings
- Soothing Sammy Children's Book
- Soothing Sammy Plush Dog
- Parent Guide
About the Author
My name is, Jeana Kinne, the author of the Soothing Sammy Program. I have a Masters degree in Early Childhood Education and over 16 years of experience working with children between the ages of 0 and 6 years old. One of the most common questions that I get from parents is:
"How can I get my child to listen without tantrumming?"
Are you tired of the tantrums, screaming and "not listening" (all common behaviors in toddlers and preschoolers)? Wouldn't it be great if young children could calm down on their own and explain how they feel?
After searching the internet and early childhood stores, I couldn’t find anything that teaches children how to respond to their feelings in a child-friendly, hands-on way. This is why I created Soothing Sammy!
The Soothing Sammy Program teaches children how to process their feelings, identify their emotions and problem solve in a way that is easy for children to understand and simple for parents to implement!
To learn more about Jeana and here experience, click here.
Why is Sammy important?
Are you tired of turning on the news and being bombarded with stories about violence? If we teach children simple and effective coping strategies while they are young, they will be able to utilize those skills and strategies through their teenage and adult years.
According to Robert Plutchick, professor emeritus at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine, more than 90 different emotions have been identified. Wow! Imagine being a little person experiencing all of these feelings. Sammy teaches children calm down strategies that they can understand and easily implement.
What are Sensory Strategies?
When children feel their body start to “fume” they react. Reactions don’t involve thinking about why they feel the way they feel. This is why you see young children throwing objects (that they are frustrated with), hitting the toddler sitting next to them (because they are in their space) or running the other direction when mom says it’s time to leave the park.
Throughout our life experiences, adults have learned what sensory techniques help us calm down (such as sip coffee, chew gum, go on a walk/run, put on fragrant hand lotion or breathe in essential oils.)
When children overwhelmed with emotion, they sometimes ignore adult advice/redirection. This isn't because your child is mean or rude, it's simply because they need time to process what has happened and figure out why their body is reacting in such a strong way.
Throughout the story, children visit Sammy, the golden retriever, who introduces them to different calming strategies such as looking at a photo, smelling a rose, listening to a favorite song, crunching on a favorite snack and more! Each item Sammy introduces to the children impacts one or more components of a child's sensory system, teaching children that there are ways to calm their body when they feel overwhelmed. Once calm, Sammy teaches the children how to process their feelings and solve problems with adult support.
Can I purchase the Sammy book by itself?
Yes you can purchase the full kit together or purchase each component by itself. Click here for more information.
Can I use it in a classroom?
Yes! Many local preschools have used Sammy successfully in their classrooms. Click here for more information.
Will it help my child with special needs?
Yes! Sammy can be adapted to your child's developmental level. Click here to read more information on how this might work for your family.
Does it work?
Check out our customer reviews here!
Free Shipping in Continental U.S. Product Usually Ships within 1-3 days.
We proudly ship worldwide!
After you place an order, we will send you a tracking number along with delivery updates.
Thank you! Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
Click on the following links for more information about specific topics:
Find Out More
Do you ever find yourself standing in the doorway of...
It was a quiet family afternoon, but then the...
Oh two year olds! The age of exploration and questioning...
Welcome to the world of four and five-year-olds! The...