- A photo of your family (including extended family members. Can be one large family photo or multiple photos)
- One (1) 3x5 card for every member of your extended family.
- One (1) Pen
- One (1) Box of Crayons
- Word Identification
- Social Development: Understanding Others
- Using Words to Communicate Feelings
- Fine Motor: Tracing Letters
- Letter Identification
- Fine Motor: Drawing
Overview: The Holidays are not only about receiving, but also about giving. The spirit of giving is important for children to learn, although they don't have much money and don't always want to make an ornament for every member of their family!
Wonderful presents are not only tangible gifts, but also greetings and wishes for others. This activity helps children think about others and create wishes for them. You may be surprised of how "in tune" your child is with the people they care most about.
- Tell your child that you are going to create a Wish card for their family members.
- Lay out the photos of your family in front of the child.
- Ask your child to pick one person out of the photos.
- Ask your child who that person is by saying "I spy ___" (example: "I spy Grandma").
- Tell your child that Holidays are about spending time with the ones your love and about giving. Wishes are a great thing to give others. Ask your child what wish they have for the person (in the photo) they chose. ("Example: I wish that Grandma would have a new car.").
- The adult should write that wish down on one 3x5 card. (Make sure to write Grandma on the card somewhere).
- Tell your child to use a crayon to trace the letters in their "wish"(the words on the 3x5 card). Can they name the letters as they trace them?
- Turn the card over and ask your child to draw a photo of the wish on the back of the card.
- Repeat Steps 3 through 8 until a wish has been made for each person in the photos.
- Optional: Place a small bow on each of the 3x5 cards and allow your child to give the cards to each family member when you see them.
Were you surprised of what your child wished for? Continue this tradition throughout the year by asking your child what their wish is for each persons birthday. These cards make very sweet collages!
Back to FREE Learning Activities